Pullman Coffee Tamper, Barista - Checkerboard Flat 58mm
Made In Australia
Default base size is 58mm
Pullman Tampers are engineered to provide optimal results for a lifetime.
Using the tamper
The Barista tamper comes with three stackable height-adjustment spacers. These provide 8 different height options across 15mm of adjustment. Simply unscrew the handle to install or swap the spacers. Generally speaking, a large hand is better suited to a thicker spacer, and a smaller hand works better with a thin spacer. Since the grip used can change the preference, it is recommended to try various combination of spacers until the ideal grip is achieved. Keep any unused spacers in a safe place for future use.
Once a comfortable grip is found, fill the portafilter with freshly ground coffee, rest it on a tamping mat, tamping stand or with its edge on the edge of a bench with your body positioned as close to the tamper as possible. Rest the tamper in the filter basket and, using the True Tamp rings as a guide, adjust the angle of the tamper so it is exactly level. Keeping the wrist straight, apply firm & even pressure from the shoulder through to the elbow and into the rubber compression zone of the tamper to compress the ground coffee while watchin gthe ring to ensure the tamper stays level. Ideally, a force of 10-15kg should be used (can be practiced on a scale to gauge initially).
Once the tamp is complete, release the pressure on the tamper and spin it about 90 degrees. This 'polish' helps give the puck a clean and smooth surface. It also dislodges any coffee grounds that have stuck to the tamper. If the tamper doesn't spin freely and scrapes on the side of the basket, it means the tamp wasn't level. It is not recommended to knock the side of the portafilter with the tamper, as this may fracture the coffee puck and cause channelling.
Now the portafilter can be loaded and brewed. To begin, 30ml of espresso per cup should be sought - with a brewing time of about 25 seconds. If it takes longer, the grind is too fine, if it's any quicker the grind is too course.
Acetal plastic or anodized alumimium handles can be washed or wiped as required, however do not clean in dishwashers or use any harsh or caustic chemical cleaners (particularly bleach or caustic soda). Always dry the tamper immediately after cleaning. Wood or leather handles should be kept dry and only wiped clean with a slightly damp cloth. Wooden handles are pre-treated with Danish oil and will absorb skin oils during normal use, so shouldn't need re-oiling. Leather-wrapped handles may be treated periodically with a leather conditioner.
The base can be unscrewed for cleaning if desired, however a wipe with a damp cloth should be all it takes to remove any dried coffee residue or particles.
* Rural and remote areas may attract longer shipping times but we make every effort to ensure we provide the fastest delivery times possible. * Please note bulky orders to rural, remote & offshore areas in excess of 25kg may attract additional delivery fees.
Delivery times above are estimates only. Delivery times apply from the date of dispatch, not the date orders are received and refer to business days not calendar days. We make every attempt to ensure all deliveries arrive within the estimated time frames above however sometimes events occur that are out of our control. If your order is more than 2 business days late based on the above guidelines please contact us and provide your name, order number and date of order. – Barista Warehouse Team
Barista Warehouse ReturnsBarista Warehouse offers a hassle returns and exchange policy that lets you return any purchased item for a store credit, refund or exchange for another item provided that it meets the following conditions:
- The item is returned within 14 days from the date of your order.
- Presents 'as new' in appearance, is unused and show no signs of use, wear and tear or damage. We cannot accept a return for items that have been used.
- Be packaged in it's original undamaged packaging with all product tickets and tags.
- The item's original packaging is not marked or used as the outer layer of packaging for transport. Please ensure you do not attach anything to the outside of the original packaging.
- Barista Warehouse is not responsible for any freight charges on returned items unless the item(s) being returned have arrived damaged or faulty in which case we will send a pre-paid return label to send the item back.
- Items being returned must include a copy of the receipt/invoice for the order.
- We do not accept returns on any machines, electrical parts, special order items, apparel, books, posters and dvds. So please choose wisely.
- Items returned with a value >$400 will be eligible for a store credit or exchange only.
All returns must be authorised by Barista Warehouse before sending the item back to us. Please contact one of our friendly Team Members via firstname.lastname@example.org or using the contact form online for our Returns Address and instructions to get the ball rolling and start the return process.
Incorrect/Faulty/Damaged ItemsIn the unlikely event that your order has been damaged on the way to you, is faulty on arrival or you have simply received an incorrect item in your order or it does not match the product description we will help to get this sorted for you as quickly as possible. Please notify us via email@example.com or using the contact form online within 3 business days of receiving your order of any discrepancies or damaged products and we will begin the hassle free return process. Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. Faulty or damaged items are subject to the following conditions:
- If an item is faulty or damaged on arrival and the fault/damage amounts to a major failure of the product you are entitled to a refund or a replacement of the product.
- If the item fails to be of acceptable quality but the failure does not amount to a major failure you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced. Barista Warehouse will determine the extent of the failure once assessed by a team member.
- Faulty/damaged items being returned must include a copy of the receipt/invoice for the order.